In-Built Fat Storage Systems that Activate at MenopauseKathryn Colas
Not a lot of people know this but once women reach 40, their biology is already changing and whether they like it or not, they are in the peri-menopause stage of life and this can last ten years, or so. But take heart, you may be one of the lucky 30% who does not experience debilitating symptoms, in which case we ask that you have some sympathy for the other 70% who will quite possibly experience life on another plane, I think it’s called ‘going through hell and back’.
All women go through menopause and I was shocked at the high percentage who experience debilitating symptoms, especially as I was one of them and felt so alone.
So, where does this Fat Storage System sit in all this, I hear you ask? First let's take a brief tour of the female biological system. Cell structure actually starts to change at the age of 35, but you probably wouldn’t really notice any change. Around the age of 45, monthly PMS may become erratic – the regular as clockwork monthly (lunar) cycle completely ignores its status and plays truant. You can no longer rely on your monthly calendar and PMS happens whenever it feels like it. The average age of menopause is 52, whose true meaning that you have had no periods for 12 months.
Cells are changing all over the body, metabolism starts to slow down, food is digested more slowly and, here’s the thing - until now, food has been turned into ‘energy.’ But now, dear hearts, Mother Nature (the witch!) has decided to store the food as fat cells to help you through long, cold winters and provide some padding in case you fall over.
I just didn’t get it. I had put on 2 ½ stone during peri-menopause and post-menopause, and yet nobody thought it might be a good idea to tell me that this was ‘natural’. Well, I wanted none of it!
Finding out a little about what happens at menopause was a huge help and interviewing specialists, particularly nutritionists, helped me further - along with putting some movement into my life! Reducing what you eat really does help but moving your body helps even more.
To really understand what’s happening to your hormones and how they affect your diet as you mature, do take a look at www.happyhormonesforlife.com. For more fun and some great tips and other stories, go to: www.themenopauselady.co.uk. You can also contact Kathryn Colas at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Things that they could have done better:
- I was informed that alcoholic drinks were (unless imported) included in the price. This did not turn out to be true. Alcoholic drinks (whether imported or local) cost extra at the resort.
- My flights had to be rescheduled for reasons outside of the control of Healing Holidays. I was not initially given the reasons for the change, so had to ask for this. It would be better, whenever there is a change to the flights, if a reason for the change were found and communicated upfront."